Thursday, June 21, 2012

All About Lawn Striping


Summer is a time for swimming, backyard barbecues, and—what else?—baseball! Ever looked down at the field and wondered how the groundskeepers of pro teams get their grass looking so perfect, with those patterns expertly cut in? It’s a technique called striping. Striping your lawn is merely pushing grass in alternate directions and overlapping grass cuts to give the look of intersecting dark and light green circles, stripes, and more.


So How Do I Make Those Stripes?
Make a first pass of your lawn with consistent speed and super-straight lines. Self-propelled lawn mowers and tractors like the Snapper SPX Push Mower or the Ariens Classic LM do this best. The rest of your striping’s gonna be relative to that, so no swerving! The overlap is key to getting perfect stripes and you only want to overlap each previous pass by six inches or less.

Do I Need Special Grass for Striping?
Longer grasses with thin leaf blades definitely lay best (that’s flattest) for striping.  Check out Briggs & Stratton’s guide to grass to find the best one for your region.

What About Special Gear?
Both riding and walk behind mowers can be outfitted with striping kits that are attached right behind the mowing deck. While many have success with do-it-yourself solutions made of PVC, lumber, or even rubber flaps, tons of companies offer specialty lawn mower attachments (check out Toro's striping system) and even striping mowers.

Proud of your lawn? Show me your best striping work!

17 comments:

  1. Now that winter is here, I won't be doing as much lawn mowing as I regularly do. When spring hits again, I will have to try this our. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also can use a reel lawn mower with a roller at the back to get really nice stripping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What type of lawn mower parts does this one take? I think it would be really good to find something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wondered how they would get the field so perfectly trimmed and shaped! I actually really do enjoy mowing the lawn in the summer, but my lawn mower just broke. Where can I find some nice lawn mowers and other yard supplies?
    Holly James | http://www.kenmoremowers.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our company has been looking for a good lawn mower that could help give us nice stripping to make the place look better. We have started looking for a good company that can give us reliable service. Our company has a lot of grass that grows like a wildfire.

    Zach Thalman | http://www.hitchcity.com/Landscape.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently laid my sod lawn down about a month ago. When am I able to mow the lawn? I don't want to tear the lawn up by taking care of the lawn.

    http://www.soundlandscapeprofessionals.com/Services_Provided.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea it was so easy to make the stripes in the lawn. We don't do our own lawn maintenance, but now I won't feel bad about asking a lawn care company to make those nice stripes. We would do it ourselves we are just getting older and it is so much easier to just hire a company now. http://www.mbmmaintenance.com.au/services

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a good friend that says he can put the baseball field stripes in any lawn, and I've always been jealous of him because of it. These tips are great. Now, I'll be able to put those stripes in my own lawn! http://www.bensalemlawn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. An average lawn mower is something that will be pretty much be used for mowing and nothing else. An average "lawn tractor" can range anywhere from 15HP- 25HP with gasoline engines.
    best lawn mower brand

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog has been very helpful for my lawn mowing service company. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog has been very helpful for my lawn mowing service company. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love my lawn and regularly mow it using my honda self propelled lawn mower that my son gifted me last year. It is extremely easy to use. It was best birthday gift I have ever got.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aussieracingmowers.com serve the best options for racing and riding. The best and safe ride on lawn and mower racing. Even here are serving ride on racing, lawn mower racing, ride on mower racing, racing lawnmowers and racing ride on mowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great advice! Thanks for adding to the discussion.Thanks for putting this together! It looks very cool so far. I’ll be checking back to see the full plans. BEST weed wacker

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing...!I think This blog is very interesting, I hope you feel same like me about know more information visit @ best lawn mower 2016
    best lawn mowers 2016
    lawn mower reviews 2016
    best walk behind mowers 2016

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been taking care of lawns for over 30 years. Stripping makes a yard look really nice. The owners of the grounds are thrilled when their property looks great. In fact, the more people that see what you do will want you to do it for them too.

    If you mower isn't that good, the grass won't look good. To find out about some really great lawn mowers and what to expect from them, head on over to yardplex.com right now. You can find find specific reviews to.
    Toro riding lawn mowers

    or you may be interested in a residential tractor

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the main mistakes that many people make when it comes to lawn care is over-watering the lawn. Watering too often can lead to rapid growth of weeds and other plants in the soil, which can be extremely undesirable. Get more interesting details about bluegrass check out this site.

    ReplyDelete